The Delhi government has said it is suspending the license of Max Hospital in Delhi’s Shalimar Bagh, which has been embroiled in a controversy over the wrongly declaring dead a newborn.
“We have cancelled the licence of Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh. The negligence in the newborn death case was unacceptable,” Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain said on Friday. The decision comes after a government-appointed expert panel which probed the incident submitted its report earlier this week.
The panel found the hospital administration guilty of not following prescribed medical norms in dealing with newborn infants. The hospital ran into trouble last week after it wrongly declared a prematurely born child dead.
The baby boy was one of the twins, the other a girl was announced dead at birth. And the hospital allegedly demanded a sum of Rs 50 lakhs to keep the baby in a nursery for the next three months, an amount the family could not afford.
As they deliberated about shifting the baby, the doctors announced the second baby too had died and handed the two bodies to the family in plastic bags.
But to their utter horror, the family found that the boy was still alive, while they were on their way to perform the last rites. The family rushed the baby to a nearby nursing home in Piitampura, while the mother remained at Max Hospital as she was very weak.
The baby boy which was shifted to another hospital died on Wednesday.
“On November 30, the baby was brought to the centre and were able to maintain his vitals for a few days. The complications later began and the child had multi-organ dysfunction,” he told PTI.
Max Healthcare authorities released a statement saying, “We just learnt of the sad demise of the 23-week preterm baby, who was on ventilator support.”
“Our deepest condolences are with the parents and other family members. While we understand that survival in extreme preterm births is rare, it is always painful for the parents and family. We wish them the strength to cope with their loss,” it added.
Max Hospital, which is facing anger and protests, had earlier sacked the two doctors, AP Mehta and Vishal Gupta who were in charge of the twins’ case.