It all started when this thread appeared on Reddit asking people, ‘What things do we do today that people 50 or 60 years ago would think is absolutely ridiculous?’
Come to think of it, this discussion was long overdue considering ever single day today is different from the next: leaders making juvenile statements, refugee crises around the world, dying species, global warming, the impending doom of AI, electric cars on the cusp of becoming a reality soon. We’re at a moment in history where we’re suffering the most yet there is no war to blame it on.
This discussion is an interesting look back at a time cigarettes didn’t need recharging, just looking at your phone wouldn’t unlock it, and any talk of living on Mars was the stuff of science fiction.
Here are some things we would’ve found totally absurd half a century back:
1. “Why are those people smoking outside the restaurant?”
2. Refrain from manned space exploration. Fifty years ago mankind was two years away from walking on the moon. They’d be appalled to realize that we just stopped after getting there.
3. Call someone’s phone to ask them where they are.
- Charging your cigarette.
5. Schedule every moment of a child’s life.
6. Describe every single detail of our lives, publicly, on a computer that fits in our pocket. Crazy times, man.
7. I’ve not seen it mentioned yet, so I’ll share on behalf of my 92 year old grandmother. She is horrified at ‘distressed’ (i.e. pre-ripped) clothing.
- Telecommuting jobs – having a “virtual office” in your home.
9. Drive to places less than half a mile away.
10. Being able to record tv shows, watch movies from home (renting them through you telecom provider) skip ads, pause live tv, would be insane. It’s something that we think as normal today but would be a crazy luxury back then.
11. I can get a plane ticket, read the news, and order food in 10 minutes through a small device while sitting on the toilet.
- A text saying “Hey dude I’m outside” is my doorbell
13. Helicopter parents just didn’t exist yet.
- Fear that our TV is watching us.
15. Interracial and gay marriage tbh
16. Going on dates with people we find with our phone.
17. That a multi billion dollar bottled water industry exists. Kids used to drink from garden hoses.
18. Sweaters on dogs.
- Taking pictures of food would probably be seen as a giant waste of film
20. Cuss all the time, in public, every other word, and in front of children and our elders.
That would have been scandalous.
That, or profess to be openly atheist. That too would have been a big no-no.
21. Grown adults who are really into “kid” stuff like Star Wars or anime.
Not saying it’s wrong or right, but 60 years ago you would get your ass handed to you on a social level if you started talking about spending your paycheck on an adult onesie with cartoon characters.
- Renting your whole life because you can’t afford to buy a house.
23. Living together before marriage
24. Dick pics.
25. Work a senior role, have no children without being barren, and curse – I am lady.
27. Watch movies on our phones.
28. Take out loans to go to college.
- HOW. OFTEN. WE. TAKE. PICTURES.
30. Not dressing up to go anywhere, I work in an office and usually show up in jeans and a t-shirt. Unthinkable 50 years ago, you would be in a full three piece suit or fired on the spot.
- Sexting and the prevalence of porn.